- today students participated in - protest across the country in - response to the deadly school - shooting in parkland, - florida.- news 25's jaylon morris went to- pascagoula high school and- caught up with some students- wanting to make a change.
- - four hundred students at- pascagoula high school walked - out of class.
Senior meha patel- read aloud names of students- killed this year due to school- shootings across the country.
- pascagoula student meha patel,- "having students be the ones speaking their voice, it- has a more direct impact."
Principal anthony herbert was - impressed with his students.
Tw- - - - weeks ago they spoke with him - about this event.
- principal anthony hebert, "i'm glad that they took that- approach to come to me first so- that we could sit down and- discuss and talk about it - - - - together."
Senior kenyatta thomas decided to speak from he- heart.
She wants- to bring a change to gun contro- laws.
- student kenyatta thomas, "we don't want to discuss problems- like this.
We'd - rather just keep things the way- they are, cover them up and not- discuss them.
But, i- think it's a conversation that- needs to be had."
Jaylon morris, "every student who spoke at the podium wanted- their fellow classmates - and students across the country- to know their voice matters."
Kenyatta thomas, "we are the next generation.
We are going t- be the future leaders of the- world.
We are going to be the - ones to make that change becaus- this is the world that we - have to live in."
Quintin harry, "i'm hoping that we were able to inspire - something in the- students so they feel like they- matter.
They can express their- feelings without feeling- like they would be punished for- it.
- the walkout lasted 17 - minutes...time well spent - according to senior natalie - smith.- natalie smith, "at this point, if we are not speaking up, i- don't think anyone is - speaking up on this issue.
We - are not seeing the kind of- - - - change we need to with our- lawmakers and leaders.
So, its- important to see those effected- by these- issues standing up, making our- voices heard and make a change.- in pascagoula, jaylon - morris..news 25.-