I got- emotional about it."- - - - another item on jay's bucket- list is to see his beloved mets- on- opening day.- - convenience is key and that is- just what this modern twist on- ash wednesday is all about....- clergymen and women braved the- cold this morning to host - the sixth annual ashes to - go...news 25's caroline eaker - has more.
- - sot full- nats- - - - two wheels or four...all were - welcome as three clergymen- and women reached beyond the- pulpit to minister to the - community in this, the sixth- annual ashes to go..... - pastor dave, grace lutheran - church: " there are a lot of- people who come by- here and received ashes on thei- way to work.
This is a service- that we can do that - just lasts a few seconds, but - people have a time of taking- just a moment to- - - - reflect and to receive a prayer- and ashes and then they can - start their work day."- this reflection and long- - - - standing tradition on the long- beach shoreline this ash- wednesday at the john - simpson pier ... as dozens of - the faithful rolled through in- their - vehicles ... stopping long- enough for the clergy to make - the sign of the cross on their- foreheads.- nats- pastor dave - " ashes have always been a way- of- expressing sorrow and grief, bu- for the christian, it's a way o- remembering our - mortality and recognizing that- we need to reflect and be - reconciled to god."
- - - - caroline- " and what started out as a - serving table for - the ashes quickly transformed - into a snack table as people- passing through the - drive through dropped off coffe- donuts and biscuits."
- - - - drive thru person - " it's cold and they are doing - service for us- so i just wanted to pass along- the good works."- reverend beth matthews, gateway- - - - united methodist church and - saucier united methodist church- " people drive through and thin- we are- blessing them but on these days- they are such a blessing to us- it puts a smile on our- face and joy in our heart.
Its- what love is all about and we - appreciate everyone - of them."
- in long beach....caroline - eaker.....news 25.- - you might be wondering where th- ashes come from that- are used on ash wednesday.- it might surprise you...the - process actually starts - the year before.- palms from the previous year's- palm sunday are burned.
- they are then blessed before- being used in the ceremony.
- ash wednesday marks the start o- lent... a 40 day period of- fasting, self-sacrifice and - prayer observed by christians o- a number of denominations - - including those of the catholic- and protestant faith - each - year to prepare for the - - - - celebration of easter.- this year easter falls on - sunday, april 21st.
- - authorities in alabama have now- identified all