· *One of Yelp's largest shareholders, SQN Investors LP, urged management to refresh its board of directors to create significant value for investors. If not, SQN says it should sell the company.*
·.. Business Insider - Published
· *Citigroup's female employees earn 29% less than male ones in the latest report about the pay disparity among employees.*
· Women make up just 37% of senior positions between the levels of.. Business Insider - Published
Swiss watchmakers are starting to see signs of slowing spending from Chinese tourists, but are still banking on demand shifting to mainland China to fuel growth this year, several high-end brands said...
China's exports unexpectedly fell the most in two years in December, while imports also contracted, pointing to further weakness in the world's second-largest economy in 2019 and deteriorating global..
When the U.S. Department of Agriculture announced a slew of key farm reports would not be released on Friday due to the partial government shutdown, the phones at crop forecaster Gro Intelligence blew..
· *126-year-old retailer Sears has grabbed a lifeline after billionaire hedge-fund manager Edward Lampert won a bankruptcy auction. *
· *The result means that around 400 stores will stay open.. Business Insider - Published
· *The US government shutdown is now the longest in the country's history and has shown no signs of abating. *
· *JP Morgan's CEO Jamie Dimon previously suggested US growth could go to zero,.. Business Insider - Published
· *Goldman Sachs posted better-than-expected revenue in the fourth quarter.*
· *The top-line beat was driven by strong equities trading, which more than offsets its weak bond trading.*
· *Its.. Business Insider - Published
· *Snap shares plunged early Wednesday after the company said CFO Tim Stone was leaving the company.*
· *The announcement late Tuesday, in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission,.. Business Insider - Published
Here is what you need to know.
1. *Theresa May faces a vote of no confidence. *UK Prime Minister Theresa May is fighting for her political life Wednesday as she faces a vote of no confidence.. Business Insider - Published
· The pound looks set to rally in the chaotic aftermath of Prime Minister Theresa May's historic Brexit vote defeat.
· May's defeat makes the following more likely: a no-deal Brexit, a second.. Business Insider - Published
· *The super rich are spending less on yachts, jewellery and private jets thanks to recent falls in the stock market, Goldman Sachs says.*
· *"We find large effects of the stock market on luxury.. Business Insider - Published
· *Global debt is hovering near an all-time high at $244 trillion, the Institute of International Finance said in a new report.*
· *The corporate sector has accounted for a third of global debt.. Business Insider - Published
· Investors are paying a historically large premium to buy stocks with low volatility instead of those with high volatility, according to UBS.
· Keith Parker, the firm's head of US equity strategy,.. Business Insider - Published
· John Carey, a Boston-based fund manager at $1.7 trillion Amundi Pioneer, discusses his strategy for guarding against another stock crash.
· He also outlines the market forces he's most closely.. Business Insider - Published
From the coastal province of Jiangsu to central Henan, China’s provinces have downgraded their economic growth targets for 2019, as the cold reality of the trade war with the United States continues.. S.China Morning Post - Published
A resolution to the ongoing trade war between the United States and China would potentially extend the economic cycle, but investors should prepare for a potential downturn, according to TwentyFour.. S.China Morning Post - Published
Good morning! This is the tech news you need to know this Wednesday.
*1.* *Huawei's CEO and founder Ren Zhengfei broke a years-long silence to deny that his company spies for the Chinese government,.. Business Insider - Published
Shanghai (AFP) Jan 16, 2019
China's GDP growth may be significantly slower than official estimates suggest and its economy more vulnerable to external shocks than widely believed, a global business.. Energy Daily - Published
A former US diplomat and China strategist has added his voice to the growing chorus of experts who believe a short term resolution to the trade war can be reached within months. Andy Rothman, who spent.. S.China Morning Post - Published
Kim Jong-un must be pleased with how US-China trade and other disputes disrupt North Korea’s denuclearization.
By Taehwa Hong*
US-China rivalry – including a trade war and tensions over.. Eurasia Review - Published
Japan's core machinery orders slowed sharply in November in a sign corporate capital expenditure could lose momentum as a bruising U.S.-China trade war spills into the global economy. Reuters India - Published
Three U.S. crude oil cargoes are currently headed to China in what could be the first Chinese purchase of American crude since the trade war escalated last summer and since the ‘trade-war truce’ of.. OilPrice.com - Published
Three cargoes of U.S. crude are heading to China from the U.S. Gulf Coast, trade sources said on Monday, the first departures since late September and a 90-day pause in the two countries' trade war.. Reuters - Published