It’s National Eating Disorder Awareness Week and News 25 reached out to Gulfport Behavioral Hospital for tips on how to identify and help individuals with eating disorders.
Eating Disorder Awareness Week: Tips for help from Gulfport Behavioral Hospital
- it's national eating disorder - awareness week and news 25- reached out to gulfport - - - - behavioral hospital for tips on- how to identify and help- individuals with eating - disorders - .
- some of the most common eating- disorders are anorexia- nervosa and bulimia nervosa.- if they're suffering from - bulimia, be on the lookout for- calluses on their hands that- might be from purging as well - as them spending prolonged- periods of time in the bathroom- after eating.
- for anorexia, be watchful for - picky eating, meal skipping,- and cutting out food groups lik- carbs completely.
- - "they don't really understand - how they- appear and their normal body- weight and how they perceive- themselves, there's a - - - disconnect."- at gulfport behavioral health - they recommend- getting a mental health - assessment so they can refer- the patient to the services tha- best fit their needs.
- call the number on your screen- as licensed mental health - professionals are available 24- hours a day, 7 days a week to - assist