U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Tuesday pushed back against a request by House Democrats to depose five current and former State Department officials in the Ukraine probe, saying it could be seen as an intimidation attempt.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo pushed back against House Democrats Tuesday and their impeachment probe into President Donald Trump, saying on Twitter that the request to depose five current and former State Department officials was "an attempt to intimidate, bully, & treat improperly the distinguished professionals of the Department of State..." Pompeo arrived in Rome, Italy, Tuesday morning - the first stop on a four-nation tour through Europe - hours after reports Pompeo took part in the July 25 phone call between Trump and Ukraine's president - the impetus for the impeachment probe and the basis for a whistleblower complaint which raised concerns about Trump's request for Ukraine's president to investigate Former Vice President Joe Biden.
The complaint also alleges that the notes from the call were hidden on a secret server.
Trump on Tuesday again took the impeachment fight to Twitter, lobbing attacks against House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff and pinning an image of an overwhelmingly red electoral map overlaid with the words "Try to impeach this." Meanwhile, the New York Times reported that Trump had sought the help of another world leader, Prime Minister Scott Morrison of Australia, to assist Attorney General William Barr with a probe into the origins of what became Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.
The first deposition in the impeachment probe into Trump's conduct is set for Wednesday, when three House committees are scheduled to hear from former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch.
On Thursday, the committees are scheduled to get a deposition from Kurt Volker, who resigned last week as Trump's special representative for Ukraine.
According to a new Reuters/Ipsos poll, the number of Americans who believe Trump should be impeached rose over the last week.
The opinion poll found that 45% of U.S. adults are favor of impeachment, compared with 37% in a similar poll the week prior.
The United States may ban Chinese-video sharing app TikTok, said President Donald Trump, amidst rising tensions between Beijing and Washington on a range of issues. "We are looking at TikTok, we may be banning TikTok. We may be doing some other things, we have a couple of options. We are looking at a lot of alternatives with respect to TikTok," he said. Trump added that he would sign an executive order and take action as soon as Saturday. In July, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had said that the Trump administration was considering a ban on TikTok application. The ban on access to TikTok was being considered over privacy concerns, Pompeo had added. Video-sharing application TikTok is owned by Beijing-based startup ByteDance. Recently, India had banned 59 Chinese mobile apps including TikTok, WeChat and Helo. Most of the apps banned in the June 29 order were red-flagged by intelligence agencies. The apps were banned with a view of threat to the nation's sovereignty and security.
Credit: HT Digital Content Duration: 01:53Published
US President Donald Trump has said that his government is looking at banning Chinese video-sharing application Tiktok. When asked a question on the issue, the US President said they are looking into the issue and are thinking about making a decision. This comes after Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said that the US government was carrying out a national security review on TikTok and that his department would advise Trump what, if any, needs to be taken against it. Earlier in the month, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that the Trump administration was considering a ban on access to the TikTok application over privacy concerns. Meanwhile, Beijing has accused the US of using government mechanisms to pressure Chinese companies. Tiktok has claimed that user data is safe and not shared with Chinese authorities. This comes after India earlier banned the video-sharing app and several others over privacy concerns. The US had lauded India's decision and said that the move will protect India's integrity and national security. Watch the full video for all the details.
Credit: HT Digital Content Duration: 01:19Published
Years of fighting between Ukrainian government forces and pro-Russian separatists may finally be coming to an end, as a ceasefire backed by presidents Vladimir Putin and Volodymyr Zelenskiy enters into effect. Francis Maguire reports.
U.S. Representative Roger Marshall won the Kansas Republican primary for the Senate on Tuesday, defeating anti-immigration firebrand Kris Kobach with the help of the party establishment, which feared Kobach would hurt Republican chances in the fall. Ryan Brooks reports.
US President Donald Trump on Thursday asked for the US Elections to be delayed. "With Universal Mail-In Voting (not Absentee Voting, which is good), 2020 will be the most INACCURATE & FRAUDULENT Election in history. It will be a great embarrassment to the USA," Trump wrote on Twitter. "Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote???" Trump said. The date of the presidential election — the Tuesday after the first Monday in November in every fourth year — is enshrined in federal law and would require an act of Congress to change, including agreement from the Democratic-controlled House of Representatives. One Republican governor, Chris Sununu of New Hampshire, quickly shot down Trump's idea: “Make no mistake: the election will happen in New Hampshire on November 3rd. End of story. Our voting system in NH is secure, safe, and reliable. We have done it right 100% of the time for 100 years – this year will be no different."
Credit: HT Digital Content Duration: 01:30Published
U.S. Attorney General William Barr on Tuesday defended himself in front of a Democratic-led House of Representative committee, denying accusations that he abused his power to help President Donald Trump's associates.
On Wednesday, Joe Biden's campaign announced it planned $280 million in ad buys, with 20% going to digital. This is in line with our pre-pandemic predictions that digital political ad spend would skyrocket this cycle. Biden's campaign plans to purchase $280 million in ads across 15 states this fall. Business Insider reports that this is, by far, the largest ad spend by any political candidate.
President Donald Trump said on Wednesday (July 22) it was "always possible" he would order the closure of more Chinese consulates in the United States in the wake of the State Department's order to close Beijing's consulate in Houston.
US Customs and Border Protection officers seized a 13-ton shipment of beauty products made out of human hair on Wednesday. CNN reports CBP officials at the Port of New York/Newark say the shipment originated in Xinjiang, China. That's a clue that human rights abuses and forced labor were at play when the hair was collected. The US State Department estimates that over one million Uyghurs have been imprisoned in a huge network of camps in Xinjiang.
White House health experts are warning of a slow rise in the percentage of people testing positive for coronavirus in U.S. cities such as Boston, Chicago, Detroit and Washington and urged local leaders to remain vigilant to avoid a surge. Lisa Bernhard produced this report.
[NFA] Ohio Governor Mike DeWine said on Thursday he had tested positive for COVID-19 as part of a safety protocol to greet U.S. President Donald Trump when he arrived in Cleveland to visit a Whirlpool washing machine factory. This report produced by Yahaira Jacquez.
[NFA] President Donald Trump commuted the sentence of his longtime friend and adviser Roger Stone on Friday, sparing him from prison after he was convicted of lying under oath to lawmakers investigating Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. election. Adam Reed reports.
Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison on Saturday delayed the opening of parliament for several weeks as the new coronavirus continued spreading through the country's two most populous states. Emer McCarthy reports.
Australia will halve the number of citizens allowed to return home from overseas each week, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Friday, as authorities struggle to contain a COVID-19 outbreak in the country's second most populous city. Libby Hogan reports.