U.S. tightens sanctions on Putin ally linked to meddling
The United States tightened sanctions on Monday against an ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin previously accused of trying to meddle in the 2016 presidential election, saying he had also tried to intervene in the mid-term elections last year.
Sanctions were also tightened against an ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin - Evgeny Prigozhin - who the Trump administration now claims had tried to intervene in the mid-term elections last year… not just the 2016 presidential election, as it was previously accused.
The Treasury Department said - despite his attempts - there was no indication Prigozhin was successful at compromising any election infrastructure to prevent voting or impact vote counts.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, in a Monday press release, said the U.S. "will continue to push back against malign actors who seek to subvert our democratic processes." The sanctions - coming just days after Pompeo was issued a subpoena for documents related to the intensifying Ukraine scandal, in which President Donald Trump was accused in a whistleblower complaint of trying to seek foreign interference in the 2020 election.
Thousands of people marched in the Russian far eastern city of Khabarovsk on Saturday for the fourth weekend in a row, protesting at President Vladimir Putin's handling of a local political crisis. Soraya Ali reports.
Years of fighting between Ukrainian government forces and pro-Russian separatists may finally be coming to an end, as a ceasefire backed by presidents Vladimir Putin and Volodymyr Zelenskiy enters into effect. Francis Maguire reports.
White House health experts are warning of a slow rise in the percentage of people testing positive for coronavirus in U.S. cities such as Boston, Chicago, Detroit and Washington and urged local leaders to remain vigilant to avoid a surge. Lisa Bernhard produced this report.
[NFA] Ohio Governor Mike DeWine said on Thursday he had tested positive for COVID-19 as part of a safety protocol to greet U.S. President Donald Trump when he arrived in Cleveland to visit a Whirlpool washing machine factory. This report produced by Yahaira Jacquez.
Donald Trump, for the first time, has confirmed the US conducted a covert cyberattack in 2018. The attack was against Russia's Internet Research Agency, according to reports at CNN. The Internet Research Agency is a troll farm blamed for interference in the 2016 presidential election. Trump gave confirmation during an interview with reporters.
A U.S. appeals court on Thursday agreed to rehear arguments that could potentially lead to the reopening of the case against Michael Flynn, President Donald Trump's former national security adviser. Gavino Garay has more.
Former special counsel Robert Mueller is defending his office's prosecution of Roger Stone. As part of Mueller's Russia investigation, Stone was convicted of lying to Congress, witness tampering and obstructing Congress. In an op-ed for the Washington Post, Mueller said Stone is still a convicted felon, despite President Donald Trump's commutation of Stone's sentence. Because his sentence has been commuted, he will not go to prison. But his conviction stands.
The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday agreed to hear a bid by President Donald Trump's administration to avoid disclosing to the House Judiciary Committee grand jury materials related to former Special Counsel Robert Mueller's report documenting Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, but justices likely won't rule on the case until after the Nov. 3 election. Colette Luke has more.
Justice Department prosecutor Aaron Zelinksy will testify to Congress this week about the sentencing of former GOP strategist Roger Stone. According to Business Insider, Zelinsky will say that senior leadership improperly interfered in Stone's sentencing recommendation for political reasons. Zelinsky worked on the former special counsel Robert Mueller's team during the FBI's Russia probe. Stone's conviction was one of the most high profile victories they secured.
The United States may ban Chinese-video sharing app TikTok, said President Donald Trump, amidst rising tensions between Beijing and Washington on a range of issues. "We are looking at TikTok, we may be banning TikTok. We may be doing some other things, we have a couple of options. We are looking at a lot of alternatives with respect to TikTok," he said. Trump added that he would sign an executive order and take action as soon as Saturday. In July, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had said that the Trump administration was considering a ban on TikTok application. The ban on access to TikTok was being considered over privacy concerns, Pompeo had added. Video-sharing application TikTok is owned by Beijing-based startup ByteDance. Recently, India had banned 59 Chinese mobile apps including TikTok, WeChat and Helo. Most of the apps banned in the June 29 order were red-flagged by intelligence agencies. The apps were banned with a view of threat to the nation's sovereignty and security.
Credit: HT Digital Content Duration: 01:53Published
US President Donald Trump has said that his government is looking at banning Chinese video-sharing application Tiktok. When asked a question on the issue, the US President said they are looking into the issue and are thinking about making a decision. This comes after Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said that the US government was carrying out a national security review on TikTok and that his department would advise Trump what, if any, needs to be taken against it. Earlier in the month, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that the Trump administration was considering a ban on access to the TikTok application over privacy concerns. Meanwhile, Beijing has accused the US of using government mechanisms to pressure Chinese companies. Tiktok has claimed that user data is safe and not shared with Chinese authorities. This comes after India earlier banned the video-sharing app and several others over privacy concerns. The US had lauded India's decision and said that the move will protect India's integrity and national security. Watch the full video for all the details.
Credit: HT Digital Content Duration: 01:19Published
A congressional watchdog said the federal government sent 1.1 million stimulus payments to dead people. According to Business Insider, these dead people received a total of $1.4 billion. The Government Accountability Office said the problem came partly because of administrative issues. While the IRS has access to death records from the Social Security Administration, the Treasury Department does not.