Esper: Iran 'continues to violate' international norms
During a news conference with Bahrain's Crown Prince Salman bin Hamad al-Khalifa, U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Tuesday at the Pentagon said 'as you can see from recent events, Iran continues to violate international norms'.
EXISTING GRAPHICS MAY BE OVERWRITTEN BY CLIENT'S OWN GRAPHICS BUT NO FURTHER EDITS ARE PERMITTED, INCLUDING FOR LENGTH** The United States believes Saturday's attack on Saudi Arabia's oil facilities originated in southwestern Iran, a U.S. official told Reuters on Tuesday.
Three officials, speaking to Reuters on condition of anonymity, said the attack involved both cruise missiles and drones, indicating the attack involved a higher degree of complexity and sophistication than initially thought.
The officials did not provide evidence or explain what U.S. intelligence they were using to make the assessments.
However, such U.S. intelligence, if it could be shared publicly, could increase pressure on the United States, Saudi Arabia and others to respond.
One of the three officials expressed confidence that Saudi Arabia's collection of materials following the attacks would yield "compelling forensic evidence ... that will point to where this attack came from." A U.S. team is helping Saudi Arabia evaluate evidence from the attack, which was claimed by Houthi rebels in Yemen who are battling a Saudi-led coalition.
"As you can see from recent events, Iran continues to violate international norms and instead has chosen to promote instability and danger throughout the region." At the Pentagon, Defense Secretary Mark Esper singled out Iran as he met Bahrain's crown prince, saying: "As you can see from recent events, Iran continues to violate international norms and instead has chosen to promote instability and danger throughout the region."
US Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Wednesday contradicted President Donald Trump's earlier claim as to the cause of the explosion in Beirut, Lebanon. CNN reports Esper said 'most believe' that the explosion 'was an accident, as reported.' On Tuesday evening, Trump called it 'a terrible attack.' It's known that about 2,750 metric tons of ammonium nitrate had been stored at a port warehouse for the past six years.
The U.S. military unveiled details of its plans on Wednesday to withdraw about 12,000 troops from Germany following a decision by President Donald Trump. The U.S. said it plans to keep nearly half of them in Europe to address poterntial tensions with Russia. Adam Reed reports.
Not for the first time, President Donald Trump erupted late last week. This time it was in response to a move made by Defense Secretary Mark Esper. Esper had issued a new military-wide directive that was a de facto ban on the display of the Confederate flag. CNN reports sources say Trump was fuming over Esper's carefully worded memo that did not mention the flag by name. However, he effectively banned it from being flown on military installations by not naming it.
Secretary of Defense Mark Esper has have served exactly one year in his role, but according to CNN, the last few months have been the toughest. Defense officials say Esper has had to focus on preventing President Donald Trump from endangering national security or demoralizing military troops. According to CNN, Esper's numerous conflicts with the Trump administration have begun to spill out in public.
US Secretary of Defence Dr. Mark T. Esper on July 21 put a light on their vision towards the security in Indo- pacific region. He highlighted rapid increase in defence cooperation with India and even mentioned about focus of US over the situation between India and China. "I want to highlight our increased defence cooperation with India, one the all important defence relationships of 21th century. We conducted our first-ever joint military exercise last November," said US Defence Secretary. He added, "As we speak today, USS Nimitz is conducting combined exercise with Indian Navy in the Indian Ocean, demonstrating our shared commitment to stronger naval cooperation and support to a free and open Indo-Pacific." "We are obviously monitoring the situation between India and China very closely, what's happening along the Line of Actual Control and we are very pleased to see both sides are trying to de-escalate the situation," he said further.
Former top Saudi intelligence official Dr. Saad Aljabri has charged the Saudi Crown Prince of ordering his assassination. CNN reports Aljabri alleged in a legal complaint in DC District Court that an assassination squad traveled from Saudi Arabia to Canada to try to kill him. Aljabri says the squad came after him just days after journalist Jamal Khashoggi was murdered by members of the same group.
[NFA] Republican President Donald Trump's verbal attacks on a woman of color could further undermine his efforts to win female voters, and polls suggest the California Democrat and vice presidential candidate is viewed by Republican voters in a better light than presidential contender Joe Biden. This report produced by Zachary Goelman.
U.S. President Donald Trump's planned executive order on immigration will not include amnesty for migrants who are in the United States illegally but arrived in the country as children, a White House spokesman said on Friday. Jillian Kitchener has more.
Simon Cowell will not be able to appear on Tuesday and Wednesday's episodes of "America's Got Talent". Cowell suffered a serious back injury on Sunday when he fell off an electric bike. The reality TV star judge broke his back in several places. Daytime Emmy winner Kelly Clarkson will be sitting in for him. According to NBC, Clarkson will join fellow judges Howie Mandel, Heidi Klum, and Sofia Vergara.
Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthi movement said it launched a large missile and drone attack deep in Saudi Arabia on Tuesday that struck the defense ministry and a military base in Riyadh, but the kingdom said it blocked the assault. Emer McCarthy reports.