U.S-Saudi relationship 'one of the most enduring': Esper
U.S. Defense Secretary Mike Esper said on Thursday that the U.S. intended to 'maintain and grow' strong ties with Saudi Arabia as he met with Saudi Arabia's Deputy Minister of Defense at the White House on Thursday.
The meeting comes amid negative congressional sentiment toward Saudi Arabia after the murder of Saudi journalist and Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi, a U.S. resident, at a Saudi consulate in Turkey last year.
EXISTING GRAPHICS MAY BE OVERWRITTEN BY CLIENT'S OWN GRAPHICS BUT NO FURTHER EDITS ARE PERMITTED, INCLUDING FOR LENGTH** Saudi Arabia's Deputy Minister of Defense met on Thursday with the U.S. Defense Secretary Mike Esper at the Pentagon.
Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz was greeted with a military honor guard.
In opening comments, Esper and Prince Khalid said they intended to work toward strengthening the bilateral relationship between the two countries.
The meeting comes just after Prince Khalid met with U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday and the two discussed the situation in Yemen, which remains tense.
Lawmakers said their efforts to stop military sales and impose sanctions to punish Saudi human rights abuses would continue after their August break.
U.S. President Donald Trump - and many supporters in Congress - object to punitive measures against Saudi Arabia, which they consider a valuable partner and important counterweight to Iran's influence in the region.
Trump also considers foreign weapons sales an important generator of American jobs.
Muslim pilgrims cast sanitised pebbles as they "stoned the devil" in the last major ritual of the hajj, which the Saudi king acknowledged had been tough to organise due to coronavirus pandemic.View on euronews
Credit: euronews (in English) Duration: 00:50Published
Muslim pilgrims in Saudi Arabia took part in the second day of the symbolic stoning of the devil near Mecca on Saturday but maintained social distancing in a ritual that usually brings millions of worshippers from all over the world shoulder to shoulder.
The UK's first sanctions for human rights abuse will cover those involved in the deaths of the Russian lawyer Sergei Magnitsky and the Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, the systematic killings of the Rohingyas in Burma and the North Korean gulags. Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said the measures being brought in by the Government today will "hold to account the perpetrators of the worst human rights abuses".
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 01:18Published
Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab introduces the UK's first sanctions regime that targets people who have committed the gravest human rights abuses. He mentions specifically those involved in the deaths of the Russian lawyer Sergei Magnitsky and the Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, the killings of the Rohingyas in Myanmar and the North Korean gulags. Report by Bassaneseg. Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/itn and follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/itn
The United States will take action in coming days on the popular short-video app TikTok and other Chinese apps, White House spokeswoman Kayleigh McEnany told reporters at a briefing on Tuesday, but gave no other details.
China's ByteDance has agreed to divest the U.S. operations of TikTok completely in a bid to save a deal with the White House, after President Donald Trump said on Friday he had decided to ban the popular short-video app, two people familiar with the matter said on Saturday. Ciara Lee reports
President Donald Trump says he is encouraging mail voting in Florida whileopposing it being rolled out nationwide, because the state has "a greatRepublican governor" and is "so well run". This comes only days after Mr Trumpthreatened to sue Nevada over a new vote-by-mail law. Mr Trump compares thesystem in Nevada to that in Florida, a critical swing state which he claims ismuch better prepared for mail-in voting.
Credit: PA - Press Association STUDIO Duration: 00:47Published
The United States may ban Chinese-video sharing app TikTok, said President Donald Trump, amidst rising tensions between Beijing and Washington on a range of issues. "We are looking at TikTok, we may be banning TikTok. We may be doing some other things, we have a couple of options. We are looking at a lot of alternatives with respect to TikTok," he said. Trump added that he would sign an executive order and take action as soon as Saturday. In July, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had said that the Trump administration was considering a ban on TikTok application. The ban on access to TikTok was being considered over privacy concerns, Pompeo had added. Video-sharing application TikTok is owned by Beijing-based startup ByteDance. Recently, India had banned 59 Chinese mobile apps including TikTok, WeChat and Helo. Most of the apps banned in the June 29 order were red-flagged by intelligence agencies. The apps were banned with a view of threat to the nation's sovereignty and security.
Credit: HT Digital Content Duration: 01:53Published
US President Donald Trump has said that his government is looking at banning Chinese video-sharing application Tiktok. When asked a question on the issue, the US President said they are looking into the issue and are thinking about making a decision. This comes after Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said that the US government was carrying out a national security review on TikTok and that his department would advise Trump what, if any, needs to be taken against it. Earlier in the month, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that the Trump administration was considering a ban on access to the TikTok application over privacy concerns. Meanwhile, Beijing has accused the US of using government mechanisms to pressure Chinese companies. Tiktok has claimed that user data is safe and not shared with Chinese authorities. This comes after India earlier banned the video-sharing app and several others over privacy concerns. The US had lauded India's decision and said that the move will protect India's integrity and national security. Watch the full video for all the details.
Credit: HT Digital Content Duration: 01:19Published
The U.S. military unveiled details of its plans on Wednesday to withdraw about 12,000 troops from Germany following a decision by President Donald Trump. The U.S. said it plans to keep nearly half of them in Europe to address poterntial tensions with Russia. Adam Reed reports.
U.S. President Donald Trump's planned executive order on immigration will not include amnesty for migrants who are in the United States illegally but arrived in the country as children, a White House spokesman said on Friday. Jillian Kitchener has more.