United Kingdom  

Celebrating 10 Years of Trusted News Discovery
One News Page
> > >

Jussie Smollett Case Dropped: Chicago's Mayor Says 'It's Just Not Right'

One News Page Staff Friday, 29 March 2019
Jussie Smollett Case Dropped: Chicago's Mayor Says 'It's Just Not Right'by 👩‍💻 Alice Monroe

In a dramatic reversal, Empire actor Jussie Smollett has found himself free from court, having had all criminal charges levied against him dropped earlier this week. The star had been brought to legal attention after it was alleged he had staged a hate crime against himself, following his complaint to police in January that he had been assaulted. It was alleged that the two assailants in question were in fact hired by Smollett, and some officials had even claimed that the actor had staged the entire event to further his career.

However, the case will go no further. The matter has been closed ahead of a formal trial, with Smollett forfeiting a $10,000 bond, and with the actor having reportedly completed community service, according to CNN. However, according to legal representation for Mr Smollett, some parts of the case will now remain sealed to the public.

Smollett’s case has been a controversial one. Now, however, some are concerned that justice has not been done. Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, in conversation with Wolf Blitzer for CNN, said that he felt Smollett’s actions were concocted to help further his career. “It’s just not right. It’s not right on any level,” Mayor Emanuel stated.

Chicago Mayor Speaks Out Following Charges Against Jussie Smollett Being Dropped
Chicago Mayor Speaks Out Following Charges Against Jussie Smollett Being Dropped [video: Wochit News]

There is very little information publicly available about why all 16 charges of felony disorderly conduct were dropped against the actor. This comes after prosecution attorneys reportedly had enough evidence to bring the case to trial.

“After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr Smollett’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,” a statement from the State Attorney’s office confirmed.

“He was prosecuted. It may not have been the disposition that everybody thought would occur,” lead prosecution attorney Jospeh Magats advised in press interview. “He did do community service. He did forfeit $10,000. It’s a fair and just disposition in the case.

Following the decision for the case to be closed, Smollett has continued to state his innocence. “I have been truthful and consistent on every single level since day one,” the actor stated outside of court. “I would not be my mother’s son if I was capable of one drop of what I’ve been accused of.”

Smollett’s case remains a controversial one, but it appears that, according to law, his case has been adequately adjudicated on.

Jussie Smollett Billed $130,000 By City To Recoup Investigation Cost
Jussie Smollett Billed $130,000 By City To Recoup Investigation Cost [video: CBS 2 Chicago]

0
shares
ShareTweetSavePostSend
 
Credit: Celebrity Wire - Published < > Embed
News video: Chicago Mayor And Police Superintendent Are Furious Over Jussie Smollett Case

Chicago Mayor And Police Superintendent Are Furious Over Jussie Smollett Case 01:18

Chicago PD are not happy.

You Might Like

•More original news reports from One News Page
Environmentally friendly: One News Page is hosted on servers powered solely by renewable energy
© 2019 One News Page Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
About us  |  Contact us  |  Disclaimer  |  Press Room  |  Terms & Conditions  |  Content Accreditation
 RSS  |  News for my Website  |  Free news search widget  |  In the News  |  DMCA / Content Removal  |  Privacy & Data Protection Policy
How are we doing? FeedbackSend us your feedback  |   LIKE us on Facebook   FOLLOW us on Twitter  •  FOLLOW us on Pinterest
One News® is a registered trademark of One News Page Ltd.