Edition: United Kingdom  
One News Page
“Probably the fastest-access news portal in the world”
> >

DiCaprio to cooperate over corruption investigation into Malaysian investment fund 1MDB

Duration: 00:40s - Published: < > Embed
News video: DiCaprio to cooperate over corruption investigation into Malaysian investment fund 1MDBLeonardo DiCaprioLeonardo DiCaprio
Oscar-winning actor Leonardo DiCaprio has said he will cooperate with investigations of corruption allegations against Malaysia’s state investment fund 1MDB. His charitable foundation has pledged to return gifts or donations that came from the fund. DiCaprio’s foundation, which supports environmental projects, allegedly received the equivalent of almost two million euros in cash and other donations made by a Malaysian financier named in a US lawsuit. The US Justice Department, and other countries, are investigating some of those involved in the Malaysian fund for alleged money laundering, fraud and misappropriation of at least $3.5 billion (2.3 billion euros). Picture imperfect In July a Hollywood production company, Red Granite Pictures, was accused in a US civil lawsuit of using $100 million (91.25 million euros) that prosecutors said had been diverted from the 1MDB fund to finance DiCaprio’s 2013 film ‘The Wolf of Wall Street’. Red Granite was co-founded by Riza Shahriz Abdul Aziz, the stepson of Malaysia’s Prime Minister Najib Razak. Razak, who set up the 1MDB state investment fund, has denied any wrongdoing. Red Granite has also said that to its knowledge none of the money it received was illegitimate and that it had done nothing wrong. DiCaprio’s representatives said he had first learned of the probe through press reports in July. “He immediately had his representatives reach out to the Department of Justice to determine whether he or his foundation, the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation (LDF), ever received any gifts or charitable donations directly or indirectly related to these parties, and if so, to return those gifts or donations as soon as possible,” the statement said. “All contact was initiated by Mr. DiCaprio and LDF,” it said. Leonardo DiCaprio’s LACMA fundraising dragged into Malaysia scandal https://t.co/Qn0nCCeDos pic.twitter.com/QmaNp7hEwR— Hollywood Reporter (@THR) October 19, 2016


0
shares
Share on
Facebook
Share on
Twitter
Post on 
Reddit
Share by
Email
 

Recent related news

Guernsey: Guernsey Launches The Smart And Simple Private Investment Fund - GuernseyFinance

Guernsey has introduced a Private Investment Fund (PIF) regime which provides fund managers with...
Mondaq - Legal

New fund attracts £40m in just four days

New fund attracts £40m in just four daysInvestors ploughed tens of millions of pounds into a new fund that aims to generate better returns...
Leicester Mercury - UK


You Might Like

Environmentally friendly: One News Page is hosted on servers powered solely by renewable energy
© 2016 One News Page Ltd. All Rights Reserved.  |  About us  |  Disclaimer  |  Press Room  |  Terms & Conditions  |  Privacy Policy  |  Content Accreditation
 RSS  |  News for my Website  |  Free news search widget  |  Help  |  Contact us  |  DMCA / Content Removal
How are we doing? Send us your feedback  |   LIKE us on Facebook   FOLLOW us on Twitter   FIND us on Google+